Sunday 1 February 2015

Trying to keep warm

In the words of the song, "Baby, it's cold outside!"  The snow that we had a few days ago has gone but the temperature round here is through the floor.  I know we don't get it as wintry as other places, being an island, but we also don't deal with it as well.  I tell you, my bed is like the Princess and the Pea in reverse - I don't have thirty mattresses under me, but I do have two duvets, four patchwork quilts, my Girl Guide camp blanket and a couple of fleece blankets on top.  I also take a hot water bottle to bed with me nights and even then sometimes I wake up chilly.  I'm what people round here call "nesh" - it means I feel the cold more than most.

As a result of the ensuing cold hands, I have made more progress on some things than others.

I managed to finish the cross stitching on this section of Baby Express, but didn't get very far with the back stitch.  The aida is so stiff that it is difficult to get the needle through when your fingers are cold.  Hopefully this coming week I will be able to finish back stitching this section.

I did however manage to finish knitting the first cabled hand warmer.  I cast off at Knit Group yesterday, so now need to cast on for the second one.  I hope to get that well started this week.

And I made good progress on my second sock.  I finished the leg, knitted the heel flap, turned the heel, picked up for the gusset, knitted my decreases and started knitting the foot.  I even knitted on it at Slimming World this week.  If I could get it finished this week, that would be very nice.

On the Slimming World front, I managed to lose 1.5lb this week, bringing me back down to 11 stone 8.5lb, which made me very happy.

Anyway, I had an early start this morning and I'm feeling tired, so I'm going to love you and leave you, with all the best to you and yours, and may the frog stay away from your needles.

1 comment:

  1. It makes sense to focus on your knitting if it's that cold...maybe once your hand warmers are done, they will keep your hands warm enough to continue with your lovely stitching ^_^

    ReplyDelete